[Milton-L] humble ode

smb at unlserve.unl.edu smb at unlserve.unl.edu
Sun Dec 26 18:57:35 EST 2010

The essay to which Jameela kindly referred is "Preventing Wizards: The
Magi in Milton's Nativity Ode," *Journal of English and Germanic
Philology* 96.1 (January 1997): 42-57.  Part of the argument is indeed
that Milton's "Hymn" must arrive before the Magi as a part of salvific
decorum: knowledgeable, if sometimes simple, faith should take
precedence over (and before) ignorant, if sometimes learned, inquiry.

Chris Grose, by the way, shepherded that memorable UCLA seminar.

With every good wish for the new year,

Steve

Stephen M. Buhler
Aaron Douglas Professor of English