[Milton-L] FW another message from Stephen Buhler

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Sun Dec 26 20:17:54 EST 2010

Here is a second message from Stephen Buhler that failed to go though:

====================

The essay to which Jameela kindly referred is "Preventing Wizards: The
Magi in Milton's Nativity Ode," *Journal of English and Germanic
Philology* 96.1 (January 1997): 42-57.  Part of the argument is indeed
that Milton's "Hymn" must arrive before the Magi as a part of salvific
decorum: knowledgeable, if sometimes simple, faith should take
precedence over (and before) ignorant, if sometimes learned, inquiry.
Chris Grose, by the way, shepherded that memorable UCLA seminar.
With every good wish for the new year,

Steve

Stephen M. Buhler
Aaron Douglas Professor of English
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
sbuhler1 at unl.edu

Quoting Jameela Lares <Jameela.Lares at usm.edu>:
> Further to Harold's answer to #3, George Herbert said in one of his
> Easter poems, "All music is but three parts vied and multiplied."
>
> I don't now recall the argument in Steve Buhler's article about the
> "star-led wizards," but I remember being the the graduate seminar at
>  UCLA some twenty-five years ago where he first got the idea.
>
> I am up already, "while the Heav'n by the Suns team untrod, / Hath
> took no print of the approching light," and I wish you all a Merry
> Christmas.
>
> Jameela Lares
> Professor of English
> The University of Southern Mississippi