[Milton-L] Munkascy "Milton dictating"

wmmoeck at aol.com wmmoeck at aol.com
Fri Dec 24 13:26:09 EST 2010

Dear Angelica,
In NYPL's 1877 version (which took the Gold Medal at the Paris Salon),
there is no painting within the painting.  Above Milton's shoulder to
the left is a Vermeer-style window of colored casement glass.  Between
the window and armoir above Milton is a mirror with a heavy dark frame.
  At least, I am assuming it is a mirror, as it is uniform grey
rectangle reflecting nothing.  I have never seen the Hungarian version
you refer to.  Is it dated earlier than '77?  The one in New York was
purchased by James Lenox and donated by his son to the libarary.
Attached is a link to a book about the continental reception it
received.  I found it useful when researching the subject.

http://catalog.nypl.org/search~S1?/Xmunkacsy+and+milton&searchscope=1&SORT=DZ/Xmunkacsy+and+milton&searchscope=1&SORT=DZ&extended=0&SUBKEY=munkacsy%20and%20milton/1%2C4%2C4%2CB/frameset&FF=Xmunkacsy+and+milton&searchscope=1&SORT=DZ&2%2C2%2C

William Shullenberger has also studied Munkacsy's work and might know
more. The only painting of Milton's daughters in which there is an
ecphrasis of the expulsion is the canvas by Delacroix, I believe.

Best wishes,
Wm Moeck