[Milton-L] My post for the day: Cultural Frames (...)

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:51:04 EST 2010

Dear Dario,
I greatly appreciate your posts. As far as this controversy, I'd say it began w/ your apple and arrow "flesh piercing."   I think it goes as far back as the 1688 illustration of Death for Book 2:http://www.johngeraghty.com/books/displayimage.php?pid=829&fullsize=1,
although it's kinectic in Book II, death has not yet pierced the orb.
I heard Michael Jackson's version of "Mommy Kissing Santa Clause" today on the radio and thought of Terrance's card.
Perhaps it should be filed under the "Salacious Betrayal" Christmas Genre that  "Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" could fall under.
It is shocking, and the eyes remind me of myself as voyeur, but the eye of God as surveillance.  As TSA would say, "It's not salacious, it's security."

I like the apples sitting like unwrapt Christmas presents under the tree and the ormnaments of eyes and apples giving it a feeling of decoration not just organic growth.
I have never before munged the Tree of Life, the Christmas tree, and mistletoe into a single symbol.
My mother admonished me not to eat of the fruit of the mistletoe lest I should surely die...
Of course, the Satan/Santa anagram slithering is there too as well as the one-eyed Sphinx of Yeats' Second coming as he seems to come on duty as the second shifter (pun on shape-shifter intended) for the pollution of God's creation.
Also, I think Terrance should submit it to the New Yorker as a possible cover illustration for December, or if it is rejected, simply add the following caption for an Old School New Yorker cartoon:
Eve:  "Adam, Are you sure Raphael said this is the antidote?"
Dario, I've posted, as a payment in Miltonic wages for your efforts, a 1736 copy of Paolli Rossi's Paradiso Perduto:http://www.johngeraghty.com/books/thumbnails.php?album=45
It is a beautiful and large Folio with many wonderful engravings.
I hope you enjoy it.
Regards,-John