[Milton-L] One post per day?

Campbell, W. Gardner Gardner_Campbell at baylor.edu
Mon Dec 20 15:47:11 EST 2010

I find myself both humbled and encouraged by this meditation, Harold. Thank you.
I think Louis and Kevin have handled the situation very well. The conditions carefully distinguish between expression of opinion—the freedom we all believe we should preserve—and the kind of contempt for civil dialogue Harold describes below. So my vote is for maintaining the ban until Louis and Kevin’s conditions are met. There is a line between liberty and license that Milton labored all his life to identify, not always without self-interest to be sure, but I think finally in the pursuit of something much greater than self-interest. My self-interest in this case can be served well by my delete key, but I think Nairba crossed the line into license and thus threatens our larger interest in liberty itself.
I hope he’ll agree to Louis and Kevin’s conditions.
Gardner