[Milton-L] One post per day?

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 12:48:56 EST 2010

General note:  I just snipped either four or five generations of
quoted emails, all with their quoted headers and footers. I'm not
sure just how many: it gets too byzantine to follow.  This kind
of compilation makes a nightmare for digest readers.  So I would
ask, when we reply to a post, take a second or two to scroll down
and find the beginning of the quoted messages, park the cursor,
go Ctrl-Shift, down arrow or End ( which will hilight everything
starting at the cursor point), then Delete.  Digest readers will
thank you, especially if they are receiving on smartphones.

I don't think anyone has noted that Nairba's vituperations may be
begun in reaction to the lack of response to his
self-advertisement of his PL performances.  There is a difference
between self-promotion (particularly of a service or product
advertised for purchase) and announcing an accomplishment (such
as the books heralded in recent weeks).  This is not the place
for the former, and I would include Terrance Lindall's efforts in
this as well as Nairba's.  In fact, this latest brouhaha may have
all started with TL's "Christmas Card," which to many readers was
indeed "tasteless."
Now both Lindall and Nairba are skillful: they know their craft.
This doesn't, however, guarantee either judgment or scholarship
in any depth.  Milton scholarship is the purpose of this list,
but given this author's work, it branches out and must of
necessity "...expatiate free, o'er all this scene of man."  If at
times this means we come up with a dud, we usually manage to
correct it, and all with an air of cordiality and generosity of
experts towards tyros.  But never has the tyro become a tyrant or
a terror, only to descend into the screaming we've seen this past
week from Nairba.  His flaming of Carol Barton was inexcusable
morally and perhaps slanderous legally.  What it accomplished was
to set himself up to.appear a son of perdition.

So I would say, let self-promotion be confined to no more than a
modest link appended to the email signature, or when appropriate
to the subject, a modest announcement.  Keep to third person
rather than first person verbs and pronouns where possible.
Clearly differentiate between impersonal fact and "my" opinion.
Don't we try to instill this in students-and reward their efforts
per their accomplishing it?

So let's be merciful.  Forward to him digests of these posts,
longsuffering Kevin Creamer and Louis Schwartz, and if he can
convince you that he understands the consequences of his breach
of decency, let him come back so long as he accepts these
conditions:

    * No self-promotion
    * No screaming or flaming
    * No more than one post a day

This is not censorship.  It is the correction of irresponsible
speech that travesties free speech.

Nancy Charlton
Milton aficionada and aspiring scholar