[Milton-L] One post per day?

Julia Walker walker at geneseo.edu
Mon Dec 20 11:48:12 EST 2010

At coffee with colleagues this morning I was recounting some of the more immaculately inappropriate emails from yesterday and one guy said, "Oh, he's an undergraduate?"

Well, yes, in a way.  Cynthia hits the nail admirably:  " I have encountered undergraduates like that, and they are difficult to convince that while you can have your own opinions, you can't have your own facts. "

And what do we do for such undergrads?  We teach them.  The list is a teaching tool in many ways and -- always assuming he wants to take the course -- I hope that we _all_ will apply that filter, you know, the "would you say that in the classroom?" filter.

as promised, once today,

Trespassers jmW

On Dec 20, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Gilliatt, Cynthia Ann - gilliaca wrote:

> ."In my note, I explained that the block will be lifted once he agrees not to call people "morons" or suggest that they need professional help because they tried to correct a confusion on his part.  I also explained that his opinions themselves were welcome on the list, and that others would engage with them if he also engaged what they had to say."
>
> I think that's a reasonable request.  I do find his refusal to ackowledge factual corrections unscholarly.  I have encountered undergraduates like that, and they are difficult to convince that while you can have your own opinions, you can't have your own facts.  If he agrees to play nicely, give him a chance, but make clear that any repeat performance of name calling, insults, and the like will get him booted for good.
>
> Thanks for your willlingness to work for us in this.

> .

Julia M Walker
Professor of English
State University of New York at Geneseo

"I cannot praise a fugitive and cloistered virtue, unexercised and unbreathed, that never sallies out and sees her adversary. . ."

John Milton