[Milton-L] Immaculate Deception

Julia Walker walker at geneseo.edu
Sun Dec 19 19:20:56 EST 2010

Wowie.

 Not since the sage and serious Carol Barton called me someone's acolyte and suggested I engage in a little Milton discourse by getting to a major conference or two (and it's true, I've never been to Murfreesboro, the particular pooh-stick with which she was beating me) have I been so soundly put in my minor league, un-measured place.

Serves me right for being snarky, dunn'it?

More seriously, to follow (albeit slowly) Tom's lead, Merry Christmas and all other holidays to each and every one~

humbly, seeking with forks and with hope,

julia

(writing hereafter, if at all, under the name Trespassers W. . . . .)

On Dec 19, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

> Julia Walker wrote:
>

> "Big-time spats are cool, but they need major players, none of whom have engaged these last few days. And rightly so."
>
> I don't engage in spats, but try to maintain a measured tone even in the face of insults. I think that we should all avoid ad hominem, regardless of our status as major or minor players.
>

> Jeffery Hodges

Julia M Walker
Professor of English
State University of New York at Geneseo

"I cannot praise a fugitive and cloistered virtue, unexercised and unbreathed, that never sallies out and sees her adversary. . ."

John Milton