[Milton-L] the Immaculate Conception

Julia Walker walker at geneseo.edu
Sun Dec 19 11:40:38 EST 2010

I add my plea to Professor Hamlin's.

Please.

I'm grading piles of blue books.  When I do check email, I don't want to have to wade through 40 or 50 petty personal spats or the nuts and bolts of History of Catholic Doctrine 101.  (Big-time spats are cool, but they need major players, none of whom have engaged these last few days.  And rightly so.)

Write each other off-list if you must fill your time this way.  Please.

jmw

On Dec 19, 2010, at 11:18 AM, Hannibal Hamlin wrote:

> Am I remember right that one of the informal protocols of this list, dependent upon the good manners of subscribers, was that each individual should confine herself or himself to more or less a posting per day? Obviously, there should be some flexibility in this, and it's not a "rule" in the sense that anyone enforces it, but, as I say . . . good manners. The principle is based, I believe, on the notion that this is a group discussion board, not a private chat room, face book style, for any individual with an axe to grind. Mr. Sirrah, you seem to have hijacked this list for your own soapbox. Even if you think you have something further to say, please don't. This is not your personal list, and I believe I am not alone in finding your domination of it irritating.
>
> Hannibal
>

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many apologies for my previous post on the immaculate conception.  I read my email this morning in order from most recent to oldest.  I should have guessed all ground would have been covered by then.
>
> Jim R
>

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Dennis Danielson <danielso at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:
> OK, so this hasn't much to do with Milton. And perhaps I shouldn't rise to the bait. But Mr. Sirrah's assumptions are apparently false (infuriating, too, but let that pass) on two counts:

> --
> Hannibal Hamlin
> Associate Professor of English
> Editor, Reformation
> Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
> http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
> The Ohio State University
> 164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
> Columbus, OH 43210-1340
> hamlin.22 at osu.edu/
> hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com

Julia M Walker
Professor of English
State University of New York at Geneseo

"I cannot praise a fugitive and cloistered virtue, unexercised and unbreathed, that never sallies out and sees her adversary. . ."

John Milton