[Milton-L] Characterization of Satan, YES

Nairba Sirrah nairbasirrah at msn.com
Sat Dec 18 22:37:03 EST 2010

Milton most definitely was creating Satan's characterics according to the Classical tradition. The main innovation Milton made was making him the classic epic hero and villian/adversary in one being. He is at once Achilles and Hector, Aeneas and Turnus, Odysseus and the Cyclops...the Son never qualifies as the hero as much as he does a device. In Milton, Jesus even comes up with the notion of his resurrection on his own, with which God approves. Satan never knows what risk he's actually taking (the fundamental requirement of the hero in the classic epic tradition).