[Milton-L] Characterization of Satan

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 20:54:11 EST 2010

Prof. Khoddam makes some excellent points. As it happens, Gregory is quite
good on the narrative problems caused by the fact that the classical gods
mixed good and evil in themselves, whereas the Christian God is supposed to
be "good" and Satan is supposed to be "evil." In fact he sees this as a
problem of such magnitude that no renaissance epic, not even PL, can quite
deal with it adequately.

I mention this book simply because I've read it recently and it seemed
apropos. As usual, John Leonard's bibliography goes both farther and deeper
than mine...

Cheers,
Jason A. Kerr

--
The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,

           —Czeslaw Milosz, from "Ars Poetica?"