[Milton-L] Characterization of Satan

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 19:12:00 EST 2010

Tobias Gregory's book _From Many Gods to One_ talks about Satan in light of
the classical and Renaissance epic tradition. I don't recall if there's a
specific comparison to Hector (I doubt it, because Gregory focuses more on
Virgilian connections), but he certainly discusses the powerful literary
appeal of Satan, calling him something like "one of the great villains of
English literature." Definitely worth checking out.

Jason A. Kerr

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Grewell, Cory L. <CGrewell at thiel.edu>wrote:

> The remarks on the humanization and sympathetic (arguably) portrayal of
> Satan here remind me of a question I've been meaning to pose to this groupe
> for a while.  Has anyone that you know of written an analysis of Satan as
> sympathetic in light of the classical epic tradition?  What I have in mind
> is the sympathetic portrayal of Hector in Homer's Iliad.  Given the agon
> that ensues between Achilles and Hector, the valor and ability of Hector
> gives more glory to Achilles when he bests him in battle finally.  Has
> anyone explored whether this might be to a certain extent what Milton is
> doing with Satan in the early books, i.e. building him up as a formidable
> foe who tentatively seizes a "moral" high ground only to be bested by the
> Son?  I know this is sort of similar to what Fish describes in his reading
> of the poem, but I don't recall him setting his analysis in the Classical
> tradition.
>
> Dr. Cory Lowell Grewell
> Assistant Professor of English
> Thiel College
> 75 College Ave
> Greenville, PA  16125
> (724)589-2146

The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,
for our house is open, there are no keys in the doors,
and invisible guests come in and out at will.

           —Czeslaw Milosz, from "Ars Poetica?"