[Milton-L] Characterization of Satan

Grewell, Cory L. CGrewell at thiel.edu
Sat Dec 18 19:05:39 EST 2010

The remarks on the humanization and sympathetic (arguably) portrayal of Satan here remind me of a question I've been meaning to pose to this groupe for a while.  Has anyone that you know of written an analysis of Satan as sympathetic in light of the classical epic tradition?  What I have in mind is the sympathetic portrayal of Hector in Homer's Iliad.  Given the agon that ensues between Achilles and Hector, the valor and ability of Hector gives more glory to Achilles when he bests him in battle finally.  Has anyone explored whether this might be to a certain extent what Milton is doing with Satan in the early books, i.e. building him up as a formidable foe who tentatively seizes a "moral" high ground only to be bested by the Son?  I know this is sort of similar to what Fish describes in his reading of the poem, but I don't recall him setting his analysis in the Classical tradition.

Dr. Cory Lowell Grewell
Assistant Professor of English
Thiel College
75 College Ave