[Milton-L] RE: thank you Terrance

Nairba Sirrah nairbasirrah at msn.com
Sat Dec 18 18:07:18 EST 2010

Defining "poetry" is very difficult. At times it is like standing in that uppermost corner of Arizona in the most desolate of mountain rock, and trying to point to proof of the three other states, with no line or sign ion sight.

Most would definitely call Paradise Lost poetry. But some would not call it as a whole "a poem" as much they would call it an "epic." The word poetry usually conjures thoughts of out-of-the-norm use of language, with pre-eminence yielded to metaphor and mystery, in an attempt to allow readers to decide its meaning for themselves; the great poet publishes a million+ poems in one, for a million different types of people.

For me, Paradise Lost is an exposition done amidst the framework of epic tradition. With his constant belittling of moments written by Homer and Virgiil, he was obviously trying to compete with and defeat the empires of those two authors.

It's hard to decide if his personal quest to do that overwhelmed his inital purpose stated in Book I's invocation. But like Shakespeare, Milton died without conceptual commentary - thus his gift of letting each reader decide for themselves.

My decision is that he altered Christian narrative not only to keep in league with the ridiculous alterings and independent statements of historical facts done in the Illiad and Aeneid, but also show tthat anyone can invent their own religion and, if done with enough eloquence and hard to verify distortion, have it stick.

Milton basically took all the scripture, all the folklore, and all the independent variants of interpretation caused by the Reformation and said "ok, if this is what you're talking about...THIS is what you're talking about."

The bottom line is the ridulous bottom line: we are talking about a story about A TALKING SNAKE. No mouth in the animal world is less able to form a word. And yet, perhaps that is the moral of the story he was hoping all of us would see, and relegate Christianty to the prison of forgone mythology.

"Poetry" could get away with saying that in 1667. A book published as straight-on religious criticsm could not.

Thanks in large part to Milton's fight for a free press, it finally can.