[Milton-L] Reading Allowed

Mario A. DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 18 12:52:53 EST 2010

  The practice of reading "Paradise Lost" aloud, which seems, happily,
to be spreading, us a wonderful development. In my dotage, I
occasionally conduct a course (eight weeks in our College for Seniors)
on the poem and have had remarkably enthusiastic response. An all-day
marathon reading is probably not plausible for folks in their seventies
and eighties, but I encourage them all to read sections of it at home.
In the Fall term, many of the thirty participants reported that they had
in fact read chunks of the week's assignment aloud at home and found the
experience "quite amazing," as one retired nurse put it. I suppose we
can assume that the young are up to a whole day's affair, but I also
wonder if partial readings might now have their own value for many
others who, for whatever reason, aren't inclined to take the whole day.
Numbers aren't the whole story by any means, but it is worth nothing
that the numbers generally have been fairly modest.

A related experience: Some years ago, I invited seniors who had taken
one or more courses with me to consider reading Shakespeare aloud. The
response was encouraging. To date, a varying number of people, anywhere
from fifteen to as many as thirty, have come to my home for periods of
two or three hours, four or more times spread out over a few weeks (it
took us four weeks to do "Hamlet")  in which they read prepared parts.
At the end, we gather for a film of the play, discussion, and potluck
supper. Last year, we read five plays, and recently I was asked when
we'd do this again.

Mario A. DiCesare