[Milton-L] Re: wow even more attacks via detail crazy (Ways to teach PL)

Karra Shimabukuro khkshimabukuro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 11:59:37 EST 2010

I think one of the best ways to teach PL to people who may not have a
familiarity with it is to appeal to their sense of pop culture. Have them
look at modern representations of Satan and angels, describe and list them,
then compare them to Milton's portrayal. Many modern students don't realize
how much of what they're familiar with comes from this work (harkening back
to Blake's infamous quote). Modern horror movies are an especially rich
field to draw from.
I think once you get students to connect to it, it's easier to get them into
the language. I also think illustrations are a great "in" with students.
Jessica- if you are looking for more, search the history of the list-serv, I
know this topic has come up more than once.
--
Karra Shimabukuro
B.F.A, M.S.Ed., M.A, NBCT