[Milton-L] Bloom & Rovira on Xtian narratives

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 20:26:09 EST 2010

I'm not sure that I understand this response, Carl.  The resurrection was
not mentioned in any posts in this discussion that I recall.  Specific
points of discussion were foreknowledge and free will, the identification of
the serpent with Satan, the timing of the fall of Satan, the introduction of
Raphael into the account of the fall, etc.  Are you saying that there's a
consensus among Christians about freedom of the will and when Satan fell in
relationship to the creation of the earth?  The identification of the
serpent in Genesis with Satan is very common among multiple Christian
traditions, but these other points tend to not be so happily agreed upon.

Or are you saying that Milton's narrative is far afield from Any significant
Christian tradition on these specific points?

PL, as a poem about creation and fall, would have little to say about the
resurrection, so it's not clear to me why you're introducing this subject.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

Jim R