[Milton-L] Culturomics? Genome?

Campbell, W. Gardner Gardner_Campbell at baylor.edu
Fri Dec 17 16:50:15 EST 2010

Thanks for your generous response, Cynthia, which has me feeling more cheerful already! (I'm trying to keep Louis's holiday theme alive here.)

I can see why one might find "throughput" (no hyphen so far as I know) barbaric, but it's hard for me to imagine a way to talk about quantity-moving-through-system-or-interface-per-unit-of-time without some such coinage. It's sometimes fun to watch these coinages emerge, especially the technical ones, in which there's often a childlike directness born of the need for disambiguation. What could be more direct than "throughput"?

It's also very pleasant to report that "disambiguation" and "disambiguate" are themselves safely within the OED, which is itself a kind of proto-culturomic resource (I know I've just nauseated some of my friends, but bear with me). As I look at the OED definitions and the timelines I love to contemplate and have used in my scholarship many, many times, I think of how useful, flawed, hazardous, and essential this OED is. For me, this new corpus allows some of the OED's greatest ambitions to take on a rich and strange new life (just as the OED online has done, for that matter).

More good cheer, please!

Gardner