[Milton-L] Munkascy "Milton dictating"

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 15:56:29 EST 2010

Hello Angelica,
I have never seen the original but I always assumed this was a mirror.  I'd love to hear about it if you get a definitive answer.
Regards,-John

From: duran0 at purdue.edu
To: milton-l at lists.richmond.edu
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:45:33 -0500
Subject: [Milton-L] Munkascy "Milton dictating"

Message body

Dear scholars,

By way of prefacing my question with a demonstration of my efforts to resolve the question myself...

• I have a roughly 7 in. by 3 in. reproduction of M. Munkascy’s; and

• I saw the original in Hungary; and

•I re-read a couple of articles that discuss illustrations of Milton dictating; and

• I zoomed in on web versions of the illustration),

but I still have been unable to determine the content of the framed picture hanging above Milton in the Munkascy painting “Milton dictating Paradise Lost to his Daughters.”  It looks to me like a gentleman standing facing towards the left. (The paintings with paintings with the “Milton dictating” topic are much easier to discern.)

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of a written reference that discusses the painting within the Munkascy painting, or who has access to the large original or a large reproduction.  Many thanks.

Adios,

Angelica Duran

Associate Professor, English and Comparative Literature

Director, Religious Studies

Purdue University

500 Oval Drive - Heavilon Hall

West Lafayette, Indiana 47907