[Milton-L] Re: orthodox doctrine in Milton vs "tasteless" intention

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 17 13:02:44 EST 2010

Milton defended freedom of **considered** thought, and **appropriate** expression, not meaningless diatribe. I do not dispute anyone's right to communicate, but what is going on here is not communication. There is no attempt to engage anyone else in meaningful discussion--or, as Prof. Danielson observed, to consider the scholarship of people who have devoted lifetimes to studying Milton before launching into a self-indulgent diatribe that merely--as Prof. Rovira has pointed out--exposes the author's consummate ignorance. This is not an adolescent chatroom: it's a convocation of scholars, professional and amateur, and the established group deserves to be addressed with respect for its collective knowledge--and some deference--not mockery and ranting.