[Milton-L] More on Culturomics? Genome?

Thomas H. Luxon Thomas.H.Luxon at dartmouth.edu
Fri Dec 17 12:44:14 EST 2010

Dear Fellow Scholars,

Here's more directly from the article in SCIENCE (http://www.sciencemag.org/content/330/6011/1600.full):

I used the online OED just now and found the word "delete" with no trouble.  Using Google to search for "deletable" turns up an article for "delete" at dictionary.com in just seconds.  Wikipedia returns a perfectly acceptable article for "slenthem."  Does that not count as a reference tool? If not, how about Webster's online which has a very fine definition online at http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definitions/Slenthem?cx=partner-pub-0939450753529744%3Av0qd01-tdlq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Slenthem&sa=Search#922

So, as  suspected, their algorithm does not search dictionaries, online or otherwise, with appropriate skills mastered by most high-schoolers. And, oddly enough for them, Google does it all just fine.  So much for all that "dark matter."  Steven Pinker should be ashamed to be associated with this project, or at least with this version of it.  He gushes:

Then there's this in the same article:

That information about Picasso and Freud was suppressed by Nazi Germany is widely known by historians in Germany and in the US.  This claim is simply uninformed by research of the simplest kind. Like this from the National Gallery of Victoria:

Finally, kudos to Geoffrey Nunberg who says the following:

"If the available tools can be expanded beyond word frequency, “it could become extremely useful,” says Geoffrey Nunberg, a linguist at the University of California, Berkeley. “But calling it ‘culturomics’ is arrogant.” Nunberg dismisses most of the study's analyses as “almost embarrassingly crude.”

Thomas H. Luxon
Dartmouth College