[Milton-L] Culturomics? Genome?

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 12:04:57 EST 2010

It may not bear directly on Milton, though I personally find this thread
rather more interesting than the silly business about the so-called
Christmas card. I think with this list, as with other scholarly listservs,
some latitude is appropriate if there is genuine, serious, scholarly
content, of the sort that might well be of interest to list members. The
question of inappropriate posts to the list has come up before, but with
better cause.

Hannibal

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Nairba Sirrah <nairbasirrah at msn.com>wrote:

> Milton topics only please. New finds in lexicography is for a different
> forum.
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:21:40 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Culturomics? Genome?
> From: vandens at slu.edu
> To: milton-l at lists.richmond.edu
>

> Our colleagues who are professional lexicographers (at G.C. Merriam and
> other companies, as well as the professional scholarly society of
> lexicographers-) spend a great deal of time gathering new words and new
> usages that enter written English.  The late Fred Mish, who was the editor
> at G.C. Merriam, subscribed to the "descriptive" concept of such work.  That
> means he and his group wanted to include whatever is actually used,
> regardless of "rules" of grammar, etc.  I read elsewhere about the Harvard
> researchers, and there was no mention of the ongoing work by lexicographers
> other than the dismissive comment that "most of these words do not appear in
> dictionaries."  The Harvard researchers do not make clear the basis of their
> "estimate."  In a recent issue of the New York Times, William Safire
> eulogized four major lexicographers (including Fred Mish) who died during
> this past year.
>
> I agree with Tom that the uncritical reliance on "Google data" is very
> problematic.
>
> Sara van den Berg
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Thomas H. Luxon <
> Thomas.H.Luxon at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> Fellow scholars,
>
> I read this in today's Guardian about two "culturomics" researchers at
> Harvard who are using Google data and $ to study the English language
> "genome":
>
> "In their initial analysis of the database, the team found that around
> 8,500 new words enter the English language every year and the lexicon grew
> by 70% between 1950 and 2000. But most of these words do not appear in
> dictionaries. "We estimated that 52% of the English lexicon – the majority
> of words used in English books – consist of lexical 'dark matter'
> undocumented in standard references," they wrote in the journal Science (the
> full paper is available with free online registration)."
>
> Let's talk a bit about terms like "culturomics" and "genome" and the
> apparent need to sound like a scientist (a wacky scientist at that) in order
> to be taken seriously by the media and govt grant dispensers these days.
>
> But first, let me try to cast some doubt on the notion that 52 % of the
> English lexicon (as represented by 4 % of the books ever published in
> English) the majority of words used in English books do not appear in any
> dictionaries or other reference books.  This claim falls so far outside my
> experience as a reader and dictionary user that I want say. Are you kidding?
>  Maybe their computer algorithm is good at searching a word database and
> very very poor at using a dictionary. I suspect that their search algorithm
> [...]

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, Reformation
Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340