[Milton-L] Re: "tasteless" Milton (response)

Nairba Sirrah nairbasirrah at msn.com
Fri Dec 17 11:57:20 EST 2010

Mr. Rovia -

I think you're not fully grasping what I grasp. It's frustrating when people publicly make assesments of your intelligence and conceptual understanding.

Your point is essentially my point, sir. "Christian tradition" is, unfortunately, a series of interpretations where - collectively - anything goes, as long as you always say Jesus was the son of god. The fact is that all those varied concepts cancel out each other's validity when they are all accepted as "Christian doctrine." No, they cannot co-exist.

I meant specifically comparing Milton's main events with the main events of the Bible. It's more than poetic commentary. It's complete re-invention.

You're right about Satan's fall taking place at different times in Biblical narrative. But Milton's narrative is not in the Bible even slightly. To the classic ignoramous who goes to church their whole life, but never sits down to read the Bible, this kind of thing is very misleading and damaging.

What throws off everything is the book of Revelation, which is so different from anything else in there, it's amazing it was included. But of course, scaring people into submission was priority #1 in the Rome of Constantine.