[Milton-L] Culturomics? Genome?

Nairba Sirrah nairbasirrah at msn.com
Fri Dec 17 11:42:54 EST 2010

Milton topics only please. New finds in lexicography is for a different forum.

Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:21:40 -0600
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Culturomics? Genome?
From: vandens at slu.edu
To: milton-l at lists.richmond.edu

Our colleagues who are professional lexicographers (at G.C. Merriam and other companies, as well as the professional scholarly society of lexicographers-) spend a great deal of time gathering new words and new usages that enter written English.  The late Fred Mish, who was the editor at G.C. Merriam, subscribed to the "descriptive" concept of such work.  That means he and his group wanted to include whatever is actually used, regardless of "rules" of grammar, etc.  I read elsewhere about the Harvard researchers, and there was no mention of the ongoing work by lexicographers other than the dismissive comment that "most of these words do not appear in dictionaries."  The Harvard researchers do not make clear the basis of their "estimate."  In a recent issue of the New York Times, William Safire eulogized four major lexicographers (including Fred Mish) who died during this past year.

I agree with Tom that the uncritical reliance on "Google data" is very problematic.

Sara van den Berg