[Milton-L] Culturomics? Genome?

Shoulson, Jeffrey jshoulson at mail.as.miami.edu
Fri Dec 17 11:11:44 EST 2010

Thanks for raising this, Tom.  There's a similar article in the NY Times today (see this link:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/17/books/17words.html) and I heard a report about it on NPR last night.

I, too, was struck by the apparent impulse to use scientific terms as though that were necessary to give the humanities greater credibility and, more importantly, fundability.  It should be pointed out, though, that the researchers who are quoted in this article and publishing their results are mathematicians, not literary scholars or even socio-linguists.

I'm also suspicious of those claims about linguistic novelty and "dark matter."

I suppose my view here is that, as with just about any new technology, what one CAN do with it far outpaces what one OUGHT to do with it or what genuine insights it can provide.  The answer to your cris de coeur, I think, is for humanities scholars to learn more about these technologies and to integrate them into what we have already been trained to do.  There are some thoughtful folks out there who are working in more helpful fashion (two names that quickly come to mind are Kathy Rowe and Jeffrey Shandler), but it's no surprise that this is how it first gets publicized in the larger media.

Best,

Jeffrey

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596