[Milton-L] Re: "tasteless" Milton (response)

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Fri Dec 17 10:39:22 EST 2010

  Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely, according to conscience, above all liberties.

  "According to conscience," that's the trick.  I wonder how many of Milton's interpreters possess the "conscience" that he demands of people, specially his interpreters, i.e. higher reason, the reading of the scriptures in the original languages, the type of classical education that he favored, and the light of grace.  That's a pretty high standard he demanded of his interpreters. We must not forget that.

  Salwa
Salwa Khoddam, Ph.D.
Professor of English, Emerita
Oklahoma City University