[Milton-L] Re: "tasteless" Milton (response)

Terrance Lindall tlindall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 09:16:50 EST 2010

"If thy eye offend thee, pluck it out!"

Great! Discussion! God bless they all. Thinking! Not just church, presents,
food and family. They are all good too, but for scholars, a little thought
is the frosting on the cake. I am sure that I will go to Hell as a heretic
for free thinking. However, I will be there with Blake, Luther and Milton (I
prefer Milton). I go with Milton who said:

[T]hough all the winds of doctrine were let loose to play on the earth, so
Truth be in the field, we do injuriously, by licensing and prohibiting, to
misdoubt her strength. Let her and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth
put to the worse, in a free and open encounter?

I cannot praise a fugitive and cloistered virtue, unexercised and
unbreathed, that never sallies out and sees her adversary but slinks out of
the race, where that immortal garland is to be run for, not without dust and
heat.

Truth indeed came once into the world with her divine Master, and was a
perfect shape most glorious to look on: but when he ascended, and his
Apostles after him were laid asleep, then straight arose a wicked race of
deceivers, who, as that story goes of the Egyptian Typhon with his
conspirators, how they dealt with the good Osiris, took the virgin Truth,
hewed her lovely form into a thousand pieces, and scattered them to the four
winds. From that time ever since, the sad friends of Truth, such as durst
appear, imitating the careful search that Isis made for the mangled body of
Osiris, went up and down gathering up limb by limb, still as they could find
them. We have not yet found them all, Lords and Commons, nor ever shall do,
till her Master's second coming [...]

Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to
conscience, above all liberties.