[Milton-L] Re: "tasteless" Milton (response)

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Fri Dec 17 07:04:29 EST 2010

Actually, many of Milton's readings reflect standard thinking.  The Bible was thought in his time to be a doctrinally unified, so that one part glossed another. Satan is called "that old serpent, which is the Devil" in Rev. 20:2, at almost the opposite end of the text, which placement has a nice symmetry.  And Paradise Lost quotes from all over the Bible. (See especially Sims, The Bible in Milton's Epics, but even Sims's listing does not include everything.)

Milton's epic was thought to be completely orthodox until the publication of his De Doctrina Christianity in 1825. Recently, some people have been reading it as fissured. Pendulums swing.

You are certainly welcome to your own interpretation of life, the universe, and everything, but you might consider whether you are reading an interpretation into Milton that the text cannot support. In another post, you made certain statements about Christianity: "[Milton] not only changed the facts that govern Christianity, he completely deleted the central virtue: the worth of human decision, our inherant power to change the future.  The glory of Christianity is that painful sacrifice is a virtue, and that even a divine being would choose to endure that pain to prove it to all eternity. That we have a choice in life. But Milton's version takes away the choice." That's actually not Christianity, which is rather a statement that man's sins have separated him from God, Christ's sacrifice has permitted us back in, but that we have to accept his government. But Milton's explanation of soteriology in Paradise Lost 12 and elsewhere is orthodox.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037