[Milton-L] Re: great point Jeffery

Nairba Sirrah nairbasirrah at msn.com
Fri Dec 17 02:27:20 EST 2010

but that's precisely the direction in which I was hoping this discussion would not go : )

As fun as it is to switch words around and find a whole new sentence with a whole new meaning, like you brilliantly just did...I'm talking about the basic essence of what Milton did.

He not only changed the facts that govern Christianity, he completely deleted the central virtue: the worth of human decision, our inherant power to change the future.

The glory of Christianity is that painful sacrifice is a virtue, and that even a divine being would choose to endure that pain to prove it to all eternity. That we have a choice in life. But Milton's version takes away the choice.

At the end of the day, as far as the message of Paradise Lost is concerned, everything is forseen (and carried out) for no apparent reason, other than God's entertainment.

In the end, as hard of a fact as it is to face, Milton's "great poem"...the "greatest work in the English language" is a ridiculous farce, and an insult to devout Christians everywhere.