[Milton-L] my new book

aguibbor at barnard.edu aguibbor at barnard.edu
Thu Dec 9 15:49:18 EST 2010

I've never done this kind of thing (announcing a publication) but decided
to the example of some others recently--particularly because OUP did not
include my recently published book in their add in the MLA Program!
So...just out is my

"Christian Identity, Jews, and Israel in Seventeenth-century England"
(Oxford University Press, 2010)--a cultural history of seventeenth-century
England which assesses the complexity and fluidity of Christian identity
from the reign of Elizabeth I and the early Stuart kings through the
English Revolution, and into the Restoration. This book explores the ways
in which England preoccupied with Jews, Jewish history, and Israel, and
looked to narratives in the Hebrew Bible, even as reformed Christianity
was thought to be purged of Jewish elements. Milton figures largely in the
book, but especially in the final chapter.

Achsah Guibbory