[Milton-L] George Orwell and Milton

Nairba Sirrah nairbasirrah at msn.com
Sat Dec 4 10:56:45 EST 2010

That's true Dario,

I'm always delighted to realize how many hidden fans of Milton there are. It's like the Poe fan base - they hide, as if in waiting to pounce. I too like standing up after a lecture and redirecting the genberal perspective. I even did it once in an atomic phyics lecture. Where I pointed to Milton's description of outer space in Book II as the first on-record description of the atomic stricture of electrons flying around a nucleus - nearly 100 years ahead of its usually signposted time in the timeline of scientific discovery. See lines 900-903: "...and bring their embryon atoms, they around the flag of each his faction, in their several clans, light armed or heavy, sharp, smooth, swift, or slow, swarm populous..." I always try to get extra dramatic at that part during my "Satan Breaks Out of Hell" recitals.