[Milton-L] Biblical Scholarship

Samuel Smith ssmith at messiah.edu
Wed Aug 25 11:01:23 EDT 2010

I don't recall Shuger's superb study dealing with the question of two different (and conflicting) creation narratives in Genesis 1 & 2.  Richard Simon's questioning of Mosaic authorship of the Torah was not new: Jason Kerr is correct to remember that Hobbes treats this in the third book of Leviathan, and Hobbes was likely influenced by La Peyere (sp?) - this I recall from Richard Popkin's chapter on biblical criticism and religious skepticism in The History of Skepticism.  And I think La Peyere follows Montaigne who may be following Valla.  But again, as far as I can recall, none of these deal specifically with the two distinct creation accounts: they are focused on the Torah authorship question.

For a fine analysis of how Milton handles the two different creation accounts in Genesis in Paradise Lost, I recommend Philip J. Gallagher's "Creation in Genesis and in Paradise Lost," Milton Studies 20 (1984).

Samuel

>>> Joad Raymond <joadraymond at gmail.com> 8/25/2010 4:28 AM >>>
I think there's some discussion about fractures within and the authorship of Genesis in the late C15th, by Lorenzo Valla, for example. In 1678 Richard Simon demonstrated that the Pentateuch was not by a single author -- I believe he was not the first to argue this, but the publication of hisHistoire Critique marked a shift in attitudes to the status of scripture. See, e.g. Lawton, Faith, Text and History, and Shuger, Renaissance Bible, and no doubt a bunch of other good books.

Joad