[Milton-L] Biblical Scholarship

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 06:16:16 EDT 2010

Richard Simon was arguing against Spinoza, whose Tractatus advanced the idea
of multiple authorship. Simon was trying to reconcile Spinoza's scholarship
with the idea that the Bible could still be divinely inspired by introducing
the idea of prophetic redaction. I'd have to look again, though, to see if
Simon or Spinoza (or, for that matter Hobbes, in Leviathan) takes note of
the "inconsistency" in question. Prof. Raymond is certainly right to note,
however, the considerable influence of Simon's work.

Jason A. Kerr

--
The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,

           —Czeslaw Milosz, from "Ars Poetica?"