[Milton-L] Biblical Scholarship

Joad Raymond joadraymond at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 04:28:46 EDT 2010

I think there's some discussion about fractures within and the authorship of
Genesis in the late C15th, by Lorenzo Valla, for example. In 1678 Richard
Simon demonstrated that the Pentateuch was not by a single author -- I
believe he was not the first to argue this, but the publication of
his*Histoire Critique
*marked a shift in attitudes to the status of scripture. See, e.g.
Lawton, *Faith,
Text and History*, and Shuger, *Renaissance Bible*, and no doubt a bunch of
other good books.

Joad

On 24 August 2010 23:25, Sara van den Berg <vandens at slu.edu> wrote:

> In addition to Arnold Williams' book, you might find it helpful to consult
> *Milton and the Genesis Tradition*, by J. Martin Evans.
>
> Sara van den Berg

>> --
>> Hannibal Hamlin
>> Associate Professor of English
>> Editor, Reformation
>> Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
>> http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
>> The Ohio State University
>> 164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
>> Columbus, OH 43210-1340
>> hamlin.22 at osu.edu/
>> hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com

Milton's Angels: The Early-Modern Imagination
Available now through all good bookshops, from Oxford University Press at:
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199560509.do
or amazon at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miltons-Angels-Early-Modern-Joad-Raymond/dp/0199560501/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267553205&sr=8-1

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,