[Milton-L] Decaris illustrations of Samson Agonistes

John Geraghty johnegeraghty at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 08:43:54 EDT 2010

There is a set of beautiful engravings by Albert Decaris on Ebay.  I do not think these can be seen anywhere else online:

http://shop.ebay.com/art4sale.com/m.html?_nkw=samson+milton&_sacat=0&_odkw=milton&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

ARTIST: ALBERT DECARIS (1901-1988)
TITLE: FROM THE SAMSON AGONISTES SUITE c. 1939
This RARE ENGRAVING is from the Limited Edition Suite "John Milton Samson Agonistes". This engraving is a very strong impression by WORLD RENOWNED Artist Albert Decaris (Read biography below). The suite is limited to only 55 in the world.
MEDIUM: Limited Edition Engraving of ONLY 55 in the world. Since this was created in 1939, I suspect not all 55 are still in circulation making this piece even more RARE!
SIZE: 15 x 11 inches unframed

Page xii of the preface "Why Milton Matters" has a brief reference putting this in the context of its time:

http://books.google.com/books?id=h2L0NJltqDwC&pg=PR12&lpg=PR12&dq=decaris+samson+1939&source=bl&ots=ArQGi232-y&sig=v2Z3roINvE9dOMrjtTIZO4_ufPo&hl=en&ei=g7tzTNbtM8Wclge8-onICA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=decaris%20samson%201939&f=false

-John