[Milton-L] Frank Kermode & RS on Milton

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 22 16:25:23 EDT 2010

Your response is perfectly reasonable; my post clearly exhibits only
minimal and superficial acvquaintance with your accounts of PL. But at
80 & with insufficient eyesight to see the walk sign at a traffic light,
I'm not going to read _anything_ more than superficially except for
certain documents which I will be paying a student $22 an hour to read
to mee! I can read on the screen, but only slowly and imperfectly.

I've read your posts on PL and the earthly paradise, & even in that
skimpy form they are, as I said in my post, fairly persuasive -- as
Kermode's reading had been 50 years ago. He says Milton makes death
terrible by making life look so attractive! You say that Milton presents
for the imagination a life richly worth living. I don't see how either
of you can be refuted! I did try 50 years ago to read Books 9-12
'feeling' Kermode's reading as I did so. I even tried some years later
to _use_ it in teaching PL (or parts of it) to an English Lit survey
course. I still think he's right, but I still don't see how his reading
becomes actual in an individual's experience of the poem. This is not a
fatal weakness, or even a weakness at all, since surely one of the
things we do with any reading of any poem is look back on it & think
about/discuss with others the questions and/or perspectives the poem
generates.

I regret that I didn't come across your account while I still had eyes
to read it with. But your remarks on this list seemed to me to be useful
pointers to the kind of thigs you would say in developing them. And as I
recollected some of those observations this morning while thinking about
Kermode it occurred to me that there was a real linkage between a
reading that focused on the loss of a life worth living and a reading
which focused on the poem as presenting a life worth living! And if that
perception was at all valid, then (I thought) your reading just might
encounter over the next 30 years the kind of non-response that Kermode's
had received. I always thought that strange, and began to speculate the
last couple days on why. I may or may not be right in my speculations --
they are only speculations. I don't think Kermode can be refuted. I made
a (perhaps wrong) guess that your reading couldn't be either -- and if
so it was going to get ignored.

Carrol