[Milton-L] Aristophanes & equality

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Wed Aug 18 09:11:35 EDT 2010

I am not sure whether Aristophanes prioritzes male-male love over male-female or
female-female, but the dialogue as a whole certainly does.  It is not so
apparent in translation, where the words lover and beloved might be gender
neutral.  However, in Greek, they are always masculine.  This is particularly
striking with beloved--eromenos.  On the ladder of love, the relationship
between males leads to the higher love Socrates praises.
Stella Revard