[Milton-L] Aristophanes & equality

Thomas H. Luxon Thomas.H.Luxon at dartmouth.edu
Tue Aug 17 12:22:40 EDT 2010

Of course Richard is correct. It did not occur to me to draw a sharp line between the story and its teller in this case. When you do that the hierarchical judgements are clearly in the commentary not in the tale. Thanks for that, Professor.

But this is Aristophanes's own story, is it not? Should we not allow his commentary any interpretive authority? Or, better question: why does he feel obliged to draw out or intrude this hierarchical taxonomy of erotic attraction?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone