[Milton-L] Samson as a private person?

JD Fleming jfleming at sfu.ca
Mon Aug 16 18:41:59 EDT 2010

Both: a private person publicly committed, uniquely praiseworthy as such. Isomorphic with M's own self-presentation in the Defenses, and with the Jesus whose "mother's house private" is the necessary starting-point for his ministry. Antipathetic to the Satan who is in his own private hell wherever he goes; and, for that matter, to the defeated and blinded Samson at the beginning of the play. His triumph is, in the end, to go public all over again. To perform himself.

JD Fleming