[Milton-L] Samson as a private person?

Steve Fallon sfallon at nd.edu
Mon Aug 16 18:36:26 EDT 2010

See notes in the Kerrigan et al's Modern Library Complete Poetry and Essential Prose, in John Leonard's Penguin Complete Poems, and in Stephen Dobranski's new Variorum Commentary, which agree with each other.  In the words of the Modern Library edition's note, "Samson, as line 1211 makes clear, is not conceding this point but simply characterizing Harapha's description of him."

Steve Fallon