[Milton-L] R. Crumb's Genesis and PL --response to query about classroom use

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Fri Aug 6 14:43:09 EDT 2010

Thanks to Cynthia for first mentioning it, and Crystal for elaborating,
the possible use of R. Crumb's "Genesis" in teaching PL.

The Portland Art Museum's star exhibit at the moment (through September
19)  consists of all R. Crumb's original drawings for "Genesis."   I saw
it a week or so ago but time's winged chariot was nattering at me so I
did not stay long.  I liked it more than I thought I would, inasmuch as
I'm lukewarm about R. Crumb's work in general.  I would commend him for
using the clear and accurate translation of Genesis by Robert Alter as
well as the KJV and NKJV.  On Sunday Steve Lieber, comic artist, will be
mingling with viewers to discuss the pictures, and I'll go hear what he
has to say.

It occurs to me that another fruitful comparison might be the R. Crumb
drawings with the Terrance Lindall pictures, links to which have been
posted here not long ago.

Kudos to John Geraghty and his scanner for their labor of love.

Links:
A few of the prints, too small to be read easily:
http://specialexhibitions.pam.org/rcrumb/multimedia/
"About"   http://specialexhibitions.pam.org/rcrumb/about/

Nancy Charlton
Beaverton, Oregon