[Milton-L] "knew not eating Death"

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 15:06:14 EDT 2010

Speaking of the death suffered by hair, fruit, and leaves, let me return to
"eating Death."

On my blog, I've been playing around with line 792, seeing if it can be made
less awkward. How does this sound:

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
Nor knew of eating Death: Satiate at length,
And hight'nd as with Wine, jocond and boon,
Thus to her self she pleasingly began.

Does this preserve Milton's double meaning well enough? And is it less awkward?
I think so, on both points. At my blog, I speculate about Milton's awkward
choice, so anyone interested can go there (so as not to clutter up this
listserve):

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2010/08/miltons-eating-death-made-less-awkward.html

This follows up on a previous entry:

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2010/08/miltons-awkward-grecism-know-with.html