[Milton-L] Prelapsarian hair dressing

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 14:40:03 EDT 2010

Hair doesn't just keep growing longer and longer. At some point, a single hair
falls out and a new one grows in its place. There would thus be a limit to how
long a head of hair would reach as a balance is achieved between old hair
falling out and new hair growing.

 (I don't know about nails, however. They just seem to keep growing.)

Of course, this would entail that the hairs falling out die, which seems odd in
a world without death, but we've already speculated about leaves falling in
the prelapsarian paradise, haven't we?

This gets into speculations on what death means for Milton. I wonder if it
refers to entire organisms, not to their parts. Thus, whereas an entire tree in
paradise would never die, some of its parts could cease to live -- such as
leaves fallen and fruit cropped. The fruit, however, would offer its life to the
one who eats, and the leaves would fertilize the garden and thereby circulate
their life.

But I'm merely guessing at what Milton might have thought.

Jeffery Hodges