[Milton-L] Prelapsarian hair dressing-- lovely!

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 5 13:35:17 EDT 2010

Dear Jeffrey,

I think your student is highly to be commended.  The question seems to me just
the kind of thing that Milton was indeed interested in.  He was trying hard, and
with a lot of amazing success, to imagine what a fully Edenic fully human life
would look like.  I think he would have been happy with this question.  I don't
know whether he had worked out an answer.  I could see him going either way -
- that their hair remained a "perfect" length or, perhaps more probably, that
they would have found a way, through their ingenuity, to groom themselves--
or, yet better, each other.  I don't know whether angelic aid would have been
necessary, but it does remain a possibility.

And then, of course, there's the matter of prelapsarian excretion.  Perhaps it was
sweet-smelling stuff that helped the garden.  Perhaps their digestion was so
perfect that their systems assimilated everything; perhaps they excreted
upwards (sublimed) and somehow sighed it out.

Just the right things to be thinking about, I think, in an unfallen but truly
material world, and in a poem where the author was committed not to be
embarrassed (whatever hypocrites might austerely deem).

RS