[Milton-L] Prelapsarian hair dressing

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Aug 5 11:56:28 EDT 2010

But with such gardening tools as Art, yet rude,

 *Guiltless of fire* had formed, or Angels brought. (9.391-92)

So, either the angels gave them scissors, or they would have used slivers of
basalt. With this "or," Milton indicates that he's aware of such questions,
one jump ahead of your students.

Prelapsarian A&E are humans and would be expected to have all normal and
healthy human physical characteristics, including hair that grows. Some
paintings show Adam with a beard.

Michael