[Milton-L] Prelapsarian hair dressing

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at mail.as.miami.edu
Thu Aug 5 10:32:36 EDT 2010

Here's a question one of my students posed--admittedly a little silly, but intriguing, nonetheless--for which I did not have a very satisfying answer.  Perhaps some listserv subscriber can offer a better one:

Book 4's description of Adam and Eve famously makes much of their hair and, particularly, how their respective hair lengths manifest their gendered differences.  If we are to presume that things like knives and blades would not have been necessary or invented (cf. this list's earlier exchange about the Satanic origins of technological invention) had the Fall never occurred, what can we assume would have happened to Adam's and Eve's hair over time?  Would it have simply stayed the same length?  Would they have found other means to keep their hair in the state in which we first see them?

(I won't even bother to add the further question I got about the apparent absence of prelapsarian facial hair on Adam).

If the question is beneath this list or too silly, feel free to ignore.  I did tell my students, however, that I would put it out on the list and see what it elicited.

I need a haircut.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596