[Milton-L] "knew not eating metrical death"

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 21:49:35 EDT 2010

You could probably add, Carl, that Brogan and others believe that the
problems all began when we started applying the rules of Greek meter
to poetry in English.  That should have some bearing upon our
discussion of Milton's meter as well.

Brogan does make one odd claim in the NPEPP, though -- he seems to
speak of the poem as an abstract entity that exists separately from
the spoken or written version of the poem.  That is the only instance
in which Brogan has ever sounded to me like he lost his mind.

Jim R