[Milton-L] "knew not eating death"

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Mon Aug 2 10:47:20 EDT 2010

I often find myself agreeing with Richard Strier, but I cannot agree with
him this time.  That "YATE" grates.  The accent is surely on the first
syllable, just as it is with "jocund" in the next line.  A rare inversion
for that place in the line, but not unprecedented in PL; see 4.731--a
"trochee" in the penultimate "foot" that moved Johnson (who used the terms
"trochee" and "foot") to accuse Milton of having Midas' ears.  Here in book
nine the double inversion (SATiate JOCund) has dramatic effect.  The strong
caesura after "Death" reinforces my sense that "Satiate" should be stressed
on the first syllable, not the second.

John Leonard