[Milton-L] Off Topic . . . But Relevant to English Literature

Matthew Stallard stallard at ohio.edu
Sat Sep 26 00:54:37 EDT 2009

Jim,

I'm glad that you are interested in this. All of the very earliest
Anglo-Saxon texts that we possess contain some words that were borrowed
from Latin. It was unavoidable. You'll find them in Caedmon and the Junius
XI mss. including the Saxon "Genesis A," "Genesis B," "Daniel," and "Christ
and Satan." Everywhere the Roman Empire touched, the native tongues
(including the Celtic, and Germanic languages) picked up Roman terminology.
Words that have been identified as "continental borrowings" or words that
entered the A/S lexis from Latin before the migration to England include
camp, wall, mile, pit, cheap, pound, wine, mint, cheese, pepper, butter,
prune, pea, chalk, copper, pitch, tile, and many more. Words that were
picked up during the "insular" period (6th and 7th centuries) after the
migration include many words that came primarily from Christian
missionaries including cross, priest, rule, school, master.

When Beowulf travels the road to Hrothgar's hall the "straet waes stanfah"
or the "street was stone paved." Latin "strata" becomes English street. A
great image of these two worlds coming together.

Best,
Matthew

--On Friday, September 25, 2009 10:40 PM -0400 James Rovira