[Milton-L] Off Topic . . . But Relevant to English Literature

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 11:12:44 EDT 2009

I always thought the history ran the other way, Nancy -- the Celts
were Christianized under Roman rule, the invading Anglo-Saxons were
pagans but were Christianized afterward, in stages, starting at least
with St. Augustine's mission in the 7thC.  I don't think Denmark
itself was Christianized until relatively late.  What makes the most
sense is that the find is of Celtic work taken by A/S through
conquest, which is implied in some of the articles about the find, but
it rather disgusts me to read praise of the greatness of A/S culture
as evidenced by this find.

>From what I've read, the initial find was not by professionals, but I
think professionals took over once those who discovered the artifacts
came forward with their find.

Jim R